1939-45 Star, Burma Star, Defence Medal, War Medal, Coronation Medal 1953, Africa General Service Medal 1902-1956 1 clasp Kenya, (5180213. Sgt. J. Price. Glosters.) 5180213. Sergeant. J. Price. Gloucestershire Regiment. VF/GVF


In stock

SKU: 306088 Category:

J. C. Price served with the rank of Bandsman in the 1st Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment during the campaign in Burma. As the British forces withdrew before the Japanese advance through March 1942 the 1st Battalion served in the rear-guard. They saw action at the Taukkyan Roadblock from 7-8 March as well as Letpadan on 17 March and Paungde on 27 March. Price was wounded in action on 27 March 1942, likely during the battles around Paungde. Also near Paungde  while fighting at Padigong ‘D’ Company, 1st Battalion became cut off for 17 hours and was forced to fight its way back to the rest of the unit, now based at Shwedaung with 63rd Indian Infantry Brigade, 17th Division. This force was then required to fight their way through Japanese troops who had infiltrated the lines behind them. By this point at the end of March 1st Battalion had been reduced to only 140 men, all ranks, with its commander Lieutenant-Colonel Bagot among the wounded.The trials of 1st Battalion were not over after Shwedaung however, they were tasked with protecting the oil fields around Yenangyaung and Chauk. This role left them so dispersed that when Lieutenant-Colonel Bagot left hospital he was informed that the Battalion no longer existed. He was able to gather some 7 officers and 170 soldiers at Shwebo on 27 April 1942. This force, reinforced by a new draft of 3 officers and 120 other ranks, deployed to the threatened city of Monywa with Bagot taking command of the local forces and creating ‘Bagot Force’. This impromptu formation fought a holding action at Budalin on 4 May before withdrawing north to Ye-u with 1st Battalion again forming part of the rear-guard. They crossed the river Chindwin at Kalewa on 9 May and finally succeeded in withdrawing to India via Tamu by the end of the Month. The retreat had taken over three months and caused a great many casualties. The Battalion remained in India for the course of the war but saw no more action during the hostilities.

Price survived his wounds and the dangers of the retreat, continuing with his service after the war ended. By the time of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 he had been promoted from Bandsman to Sergeant. After the end of the Second World War the Gloucestershire Regiment was assigned to Kenya to take part in the suppression of the Mau Mau insurgency; sold together with copied casualty list, typed research and a Cap Badge and Pin.

Court Mounted